2016 is drawing to an end, there’s Christmas decorations hitting the shelves, the weather is starting to heat up and moustache's are gracing the faces of men around the country. Movember is here.
For anyone who might have missed the masses of hairy upper lips in previous years, Movember is an event which aims to raise money and awareness for men’s health, specifically prostate cancer, testicular cancer and mental health/suicide prevention. The Movember Foundation, the organisation responsible for the event, goes by the tag line ‘Grow a Mo Save a Bro’, it’s all in the aim of ‘stopping men dying too young’.
The following are a few of the ‘hairy’ facts Movember aims to help relieve:
- On Average Australian men die around four years younger than women
- 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed with cancer by the age of 85
- Suicide is the leading cause of death for men aged 15 – 44
- On average 5 men per day take their own life
- Prostate cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in Australian men
- More than 3,300 men with prostate cancer will die in 2016
- Testicular cancer is the 2nd most common cancer in men aged 18 – 39 behind skin cancer
- 36 years old is the average age of testicular cancer diagnosis in Australia
So how can you get involved? Well if you’re a dude, grow a ‘stache! Already got one? Colour it? Throw some glitter in that bad boy, own it and raise a little cash for your bro in need. Gals, dudes that don’t want to grow a Mo, or maybe your facial hair is lackin’ that kick, try the move challenge! Set a goal and make it yours!
In order to help do our part, this year this year, a few of us from This is Radelaide have set up our own fundraising team on the Movember profile. As a team we’ll attempt to grow moustache's, take the Move challenge (get active for 30 minutes everyday) and collect a few donations. Keep an eye across all of our social media for updates, there’s bound to be a few ‘embarrassing’ pics.
Feelin' generous? Be one of the first to donate! Hit up our team page!
Header Image via Movember Foundation