If you’re familiar with even a fraction of what South Australia has to offer it shouldn’t come as any surprise that our picture perfect state has smashed the Lonely Planet’s Top 10 Travel Regions List. Alongside regions of Peru, Portugal, The United Kingdom and New Zealand, SA has been dubbed one of the best of the best.
Lonely Planet’s The Best In Travel takes the cake in authority on the must-see and must-dos of the for the corresponding year. The team of experts at Lonely Planet compile foolproof lists of outstanding tried-and-tested destinations. Whether it be countries, cities or regions, you can trust them with your serious case of the travel bug. Have you found yourself with intense FOMO in the past thanks to these lists? Never fear, this year our very own South Australia has stolen fifth place on the Top 10 Regions list. Its been in our backyard all along, an enviable A-grade getaway.
Here at This Is Radelaide, we couldn’t agree with Lonely Planet more and think that Adelaide is, well, rad. While they boasted Kangaroo Island and The Queen Mary 2, we have our own five (of many) reasons why SA is well worth a visit.
1. The Produce. Even a glance inside The Central Markets demonstrates that South Australia is abundant in quality produce. Fresh and locally sourced, SA provides the good stuff and it’s this that is at the root of much of what makes Adelaide great.
2. The Beaches. From Glenelg to Henley, Middleton to Semaphore, Adelaidian beaches truly have it all. Bordered by the shoreline, our town boasts the crystal clear waters and golden sands to rival lavish island getaways.
3. The Tunes. Artists and venues alike, Adelaide has burst onto the music scene in recent years. With weekly music at Fat Controller and the ever staple Gov, it's no wonder SA pumps out the talents of Bad//Dreems, SIA and more.
4. The Festivals. A hub of culture, Adelaide plays host to a range of festivals each year. From The Fringe to Womadelaide, there’s a reason we dubbed the month of March as Mad. With comedy, music and produce festivals alike, there’s something for everyone and never a dull moment.
5. The Vines. Forget Paris, never mind Marlborough, with three major wine regions South Australia is kicking goals in the wine department. Award winning bottles a plenty, Adelaidians are spoilt for choice.
Catch the Australian premiere of Our Boys on August 31 at ARTS Theatre.
When Galaxies Collide is a fantastic show, which takes a moment to help anyone and everyone begin to understand the way the universe works.
Calling all Fashionistas of Adelaide, that time of year you’ve all been waiting for is about to arrive!
Say OH YES to Adelaide's brand new music festival!
Zen Panda's sold out show launched their new EP through the roof, into the sky, and back down to our hearts.
Have questions about the plebiscite for marriage equality? Same. So I did the heavy lifting for the both of us.
We spoke to Liam Merret-Park from Crooked Colours ahead of their upcoming tour, to see what they have in store for fans over the next few months.
Add 'live art demonstrations' to your market shopping list this SALA Festival Season
The boys from Swirl Records put together a stellar lineup of national and local bands, all in a grimey previously unused location. Twas' a friggen treat.
Prepare to be awestruck at the spectacle that is Dunkirk.